Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:26:03 +0000
From:         Skip <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Interstates are boring
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

M-22 (Michigan). North of Manistee, through Frankfort, along Crystal Lake, through Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Leland, Leelanau peninsula and down to Traverse City. All along the most scenic part of Lake Michigan. Anytime of the year, but Fall is spectacular.

----- Original Message ----- From: Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:16:33 -0000 (UTC) Subject: Re: Interstates are boring

We almost always avoid interstate highways. On our recent near 6k mile trip from Oklahoma to Washington and around about in the NW and Rocky Mountain area, we spent most of the driving time on U.S. highways and state highways. We did take the interstates to get from Oklahoma to Spokane, but left them almost altogether after that.

My neighbor recently remarked to me that his driving style depended on whether he was traveling or going somewhere. Traveling, he avoids interstates and drives at 55 mph or slower. Going somewhere, he drives 75 mph on interstates.

I noticed your mention of U.S. 50 across Colorado. While scenic, because of the extreme traffic load, it is also slow and dangerous. If my goal is to enjoy getting across Colorado, I go north and take several different state and U.S. highways, including U.S. 40 through the mountains. Again, slow but not because of a high traffic load, just curvy and scenic. The stretch west of the divide is just sublime.

mcneely

---- Kim Brennan wrote: > In my travels across North America, I've often found that US routes (and equivalent routes in Canada) are more scenic, and interesting than the Interstates (and equivalent high speed limited access highways in Canada). Sometimes the destination is the goal. Sometimes its the drive to the destination that is the entertainment. > > In no particular order, here are some of my favorites: > > US Route 302 (New Hampshire. Crawford Notch. Near to Mt Washington, a beautiful scenic drive. > > US Route 163 (southern Utah). Monument valley. Scene of many an early western. > > US Route 50 (Colorado) Monarch Pass, and separately in eastern Colorado, along side the Arkansas River (if you have to cross the Great Plains this is a fairly pleasant way to do it.) > > (not US 209) Millersburg Ferry, (Pennsylvania). This ferry connects US 15/11 with the town of Millersburg (where US 209 begins/ends). The ferry is a stern paddleboat free navigating ferry across the Susquehanna River (which is maybe 4 feet deep here). The US 15/11 side of the ferry is in the Ferryboat Campground, which is otherwise unexceptional (noise from US 15/11 is unfortunately rather obtrusive in the campground.) > > US Route 30 (Pennsylvania) Breezewood to Gettysburg. A reminder of what highways used to be like in the US. > > US Route 33 (Virginia) George Washington National Forest (Dry River District). A narrow shady valley with simply magnificently tall trees (beware deer at dusk). A place that I always have to roll down my windows and just breath in the beneficial aromas. > > US Route 250 (Virginia) Across Shenandoah Mountain in George Washington National Forest. A series of twisty roads not all alike. > > US Route 2 (Montana) The southern edge of Glacier National Park. > > US Route 101 (California) The northern section from Eureka to the Oregon line. Magnificent coastal views, and big trees on the inland side. > > US Route 666 (old name, now it is US 491) Shiprock NM. > > US Route 70 (Arkansas) Hot Springs. A reminder of old time resorts.

-- David McNeely