Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:53:50 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: ?? Fridge burner box
Comments: To: ddbjorkman@verizon.net

Well, not entirely true. (see quoted text below) :)

The RTV I refer to is Permatex "red" RTV. Many have used this to replace the gasket. Emails of other peoples experience with this procedure, and other related info, should be in the vanagon archives.

The burner box is meant to be taken apart and serviced. One usually finds dirt in there and possibly dirt in the drain tube. On one of mine, the drain tube was completely blocked. Image:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_EBmInbpCf8/SpiutFLniDI/AAAAAAAADrk/VeKWClreqAI/s752/Combustion%2520Chamber%25202%2520.jpg

One thing you can do before taking things apart; check for air leaks. Find a way to block either the intake or exhaust tube, (I use a cork) then blow into the other tube. If you hear/feel any leaks at the combustion box, this is reason enough to take it apart. Check for leaks elsewhere. i.e at the big brass nut, pipe flange(s) where they meet the top plate of the combustion box, the corrugated pipe itself, where top ends of pipes enter the manifold.

You never know what a well intended PO may have done to the fridge so do what check all that you can. i.e. this was what the PO did to the burner box of my "new" 182B:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6ziGJjfY2WQ/T85QnoPbmEI/AAAAAAAAF1s/cDO64xpqavk/s640/Dometic%2520Flame%2520Window.jpg

The PO had snapped the drain tube clean off! I soldered the copper tube on, made a SS brace for it (ya. It was MIA) and tapped the opening for a bolt "plug". The arrow points to where there was an air leak at the white gasket.

For the same fridge, this shot is of the completely crap job someone did of bending the LP supply line at last bend before the line connects to fridge:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TZsIkmQQrTU/T8pPRT1BN2I/AAAAAAAAF0s/jE824geBChY/s640/LP%2520Line%2520To%2520Fridge.jpg

Once you have things apart, it will be clear what to do in terms of cleaning. It can't hurt to take pictures of things before disassembly.

One tip that may not be clearly laid out in the archives re: the burner jet. If you can find a means to pump water through the jet, you should see a tiny stream of water shoot through the jet. If you do, it's likely fine.

There's lots of info on Frank Condolli's web site: http://www.frankcondelli.com/fridge.htm

There's many factors involved in why a given Dometic 182 may perform better than another. IMO, the difference between the 182A and B won't be in the cooling performance.

Neil.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

I've worked on both the 182 A and B. > > Didn't respond to your initial post as I wasn't sure of your description. > > If the burner box gasket is failing or failed, hi temp RTV or same can be > used to replace this part. This is well documented. That job is a little > fussier to do on the 182A, given the box plate design, but can be done. > > One point I noticed recently on my new 182B. This could be seen on a 182A > as well. > > Some screws holding the box to upper plate were likely over torqued; the > screw hole(s) on lip of box were malformed. With a chunk of flat steel in a > vice, it wasn't difficult to hammer ("tap") these holes flat. Bonus: this > might aid in shrinking the screw hole a little so screw bites better. > > This may make no difference to how well the box seals to the plate, but if > repaired properly, it can't hurt. > > Neil. >

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:15 AM, David Bjorkman <ddbjorkman@verizon.net>wrote:

> Hi Volks; > Well I got a zillion "fridge burner box" replies about ice, other fridges, > temp differences, etc., but not one reply to my questions. > What does one do to clean up the 182A burner box? > Should I avoid disassembly if fairly clean in the burner box? > What do I use to re gasket the lines into the box if I do dissemble? > Are there other items to do to the 182A that are not listed in the 182B > maintenence? > Replies to these questions (and any other pertinent information on the > subject of Dometic 182A maintenence) will be appreciated. > BTW, does the manufacturer say the 182B keeps things cooler? IIRC this one > has been the best to keep my beverages cool and dry. > > Dave B. > >

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines