Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:11:44 -0600
From:         Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gear box oil - Redline MT90 or Swepco ?
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM>

copied and pasted Samba thread below. Notice the email from Redline.

On Aug 27, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Mike S <mikes@FLATSURFACE.COM> wrote:

How so? Documentation/references?

copied/pasted from Samba thread:

Moderator edit: Related thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457636

I'm throwing this out there for any others who have Red Line MT90 in their gearbox, and were frightened by a few posts by Jon_slider regarding some info that was gleaned from the Yahoo Syncro forum.

Quoting his last post: Jon_slider wrote: there are reports from AA transaxle, of SOME SVX's eating ring and pinion gears, I have not heard of that problem with TDi's. SVX and TDi have similar torque, but not similar horsepower, nor similar operating RPM.. my hunch is high RPM is more damaging than high torque.. the svx operates at close to 2000rpm higher than a TDi

I believe Ring and Pinion issues are solveable by using Swepco 201 in the transaxle. You should NOT use Redline MT-90.

> we are trying to determine how much torque an upgraded syncro tranny can handle.

Congrats on your upcoming over 200hp and ft/lb conversion, sounds like a lot of fun!

I was recently speaking with Tom Lengyel about what oil to use in the rebuilt tranny he recently did for me.

He told me about a conversation he had just had with an engineer at Redline that seemed like big news to me.....

The engineer told Tom that VW transaxles SHOULD NOT HAVE OIL IN THEM DESIGNED FOR LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIALS...... which includes their own MT-90.

Redline makes a special oil for VW and other non-slip differential trannys. It's termed "75-90NS"....the "NS", of course for "non-slip". It is a GL-5 oil.

I asked Tom about the past opinions held that GL-5 oils have additives that damage brass syncronizers....his response was, "Old wives tale!?

So, per Redline engineers, if we choose to use a Redline oil....it should be the 75-90NS....NOT MT-90.

First, and quite important, thanks to Jon_slider for sharing this info with us. I truly believe the intent of the post was to inform us of a potential problem, not blast a good product. Again, thanks, Jon_slider.

However, as a result of my concern, I contacted Red Line via their website. I asked about the application of MT90 in the 091 transmission with respect to any limited slip modifiers. Here is the response of the engineer that fielded my inquiry:

Dave from Red Line Oils wrote: Ric,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, I am not sure who Tom spoke to, the MT-90 is designed for manual transmissions and transaxles such as your Vanagon, it doesn't contain a friction modifier for a clutch type limited slip, it is not too slippery for the synchros. The MT-90 and the 75W90NS would offer very similar shiftability, the MT-90 possibly slightly better. Some GL-5 gear oils can be corrosive to brass, bronze and copper, though not ours.

Regards, Dave Red Line Oil

So, there appears to be conflicting info. I'm sure the Swepco 201 is a fine lube for the gearbox, but when I decided what fluid I was going to use in my freshly rebuilt transmission, Red Line MT90 seemed the logical choice. And, according to Dave at Red Line Oils, it remains a good selection. Perhaps Tom Lengyel was referring to a different product, such as Red Line's 75W90 (not NS). That would, indeed, be the wrong lube for our application due to the addition of friction modifiers for a limited slip differential.

I thought this would be worthy to share, to reduce any panic or confusion this may be generating.

bob