Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:10:48 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Was: Tire Wear.. Now: Worn Upper Control Arm Bushings - Alignment

So Jack's question and this samba post (here; http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525738 ) got me wondering.

AFAIK, if ONLY the bushings themselves are worn, the wear is between the outer part of bushing (secured to arm) and inner sleeve. AFAIK, the inner sleeve(s) is pinched between the frame bits; the arm and outer portion of bushing pivot on the stationary sleeve. The bearing surface is bonded (I think) rubber + grease though this design aspect may vary.

images of my worn bushing. Bushing attached to arm. Note the slight angle of sleeve (shows wear):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H7g_E_9VNg4/TaSUCduUCcI/AAAAAAAAEkw/xCrc2SIbYYc/s512/UpperCAfebi.jpg

end view of worn bushing. Note how the sleeve is "tilted" up a bit:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fg8c1iI7ulo/TaSUCSFTPcI/AAAAAAAAEk0/TVsiIa8ll1Q/s640/UpperCAfebi2.jpg

Those images may negate my theory, but if one had worn bushings, if the upper control arm came to rest in a given position before alignment, alignment is done, then Vanagon is driven over some large bumps, could the arm shift into a different position and render the alignment useless?

A far fetched thought, but I have to wonder.

Neil.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Rocket J Squirrel < camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote:

> Two years ago my van was in a collision, insurance paid for all the > needed work including alignment. Mike's son did the work, I felt that it > wasn't steering right so I brought it back a couple weeks later. Mike > himself took a look and grumbled that kids are useless, etc., and > tweaked everything. No charge. > > Until they did that work there was a little scrubbing of rubber off the > outside edges of the tread, but lately the scrubbing got real bad on the > driver's side. In fact, after our 10-day camping trip I saw cord peeking > through. Not good. > > So I've put a pair of my older Coopers on the front and gave the guy a > call to make an appointment. He said he was puzzled by the location of > the wear. Driver's side outside edge is apparently not a common location. > > But then, no one can be an expert on all vehicles. > > Before I see him, does anyone here have any thoughts on what could cause > my tire wear? > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > Bend, Ore. >

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines