Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:51:22 -0700
From:         Aaron <a.robinson.lists@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Putting on tires: three hands
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

On Aug 28, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

>> "[...] the key is to rotate the wheel until a hole lines up on the >> **right or left**, not above." > > Lemme ax you a question. How do you manage to rotate the tire without > the wheel behind it also rotating? Mine do. > > I gotta add that when rim is hanging lower than the wheel, then /all/ of the rim holes will be below the wheel holes. I don't see how ones at 3 o' clock or 9 o' clock, which is what I think you're describing, will be sitting higher.

If the hole is vertical to the hub, then it will always be low without lifting. the ones to the side would also be low if lined up perfectly with all the holes, but it's easy to rotate it a little to get the height you need on one of the side holes. When the rim is sitting on the hub/spindle, look at a hole that is not straight above or below (not necessarily at 3 or 9 o'clock) while rotating the rim on the hub. You will find that ONE hole will eventually up enough to thread a bolt in. you may have to move the wheel slightly while holding the hub, but I don't think I've ever had to do much but turn it until I find one I can start the bolt. Perhaps not "Rocket J." science, but you should see what I mean once you try.

Good luck!