Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:58:23 -0700
From:         Rob <vwrobb@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Putting on tires: three hands
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Wow, I get the feeling some people just think too much. How many problems have you heard of from having studs on the front? From having a different engine? From having different wheels or tires? Different seats? Hell the gas I run today is not anything like the gas it was designed for. <shrug> FWIW I've had zero problems with the studs, tires, wheels, seats, engine or gas. It's no big deal either way I'm just saying.

Rob vwrobb@gmail.com Don't get me wrong, Thinking is good, I wish I did more thinking and less acting sometimes!

At 8/28/2012 11:32 AM,mcneely4@cox.net wrote: >So, these appears to be a reasonable approach to solving the >problem. One would buy studs and nuts, and simply screw in the >studs, using nuts to secure the wheels. > >Any downside? VW engineers obviously liked the bolts for the front >wheels, as do a number of other makers. Other vehicles I've owned >used studs and nuts, though. > >Why? I don't think the engineers were just dumb, but I don't know >why they went as they did. I actually would like to switch, just to >make the tire changing business easier, but am hesitant until I know more. > >Maybe I'll buy one of those hanger screws also suggested. > >mcneely > >---- Rob <vwrobb@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > That can be changed. > > http://t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/2wd-front-conversion-studs/ > > I did business with him & would do so again. The studs are easier > to deal with. > > > > Rob > > vwrobb@gmail.com > > > > > > At 8/28/2012 07:28 AM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > > >So yesterday I swapped out the two front tires on my van with a pair of > > >older ones due to excessive wear on one of the newer ones. My stepson, a > > >tow truck driver for ten years now, was on hand to help the old man. > > > > > >"I hate cars that use bolts instead of having studs on the wheels," he > > >said. > > > > > >I can see his point. With studs, you have something to hang the heavy > > >tire on, but with bolts, I found myself needing three hands: two to lift > > >and align the bolt holes and a third to start the first bolt. He > > >provided that third hand. I'm hoping I'll never have to do it by myself. > > > > > >-- > > >Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > > >1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > > >Bend, Ore. > >-- >David McNeely