Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:22:40 -0600
From:         OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gear box oil - Redline MT90 or Swepco ?
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>

Tom

I gather that the decision has to do a lot with how much power you have in your

Vanagon & how you use it. I've put a bit over 70000mi's on my 90Westy

since I acquired it

in Jun08 & the majority of those with a Canoe on the roof & some with

a RaftTrailer behind

& the last 40000 of which have been with an EJ25 below deck. I generally try to drive @ or

slightly (5%) over the speed limit when terrain & winds allow so I feel that I am asking the

tranny to do a bunch of work. I ran AmsOil 75w-90 for 37000mi, RedLine

75w-90 for 15000

& am now using Valvoline 75w-90 SynPower. The Valvo' is a GL5 & it does have Sulfur in it

so before I switched to it I contacted Valvoline & told them what my application was & was

assured that there would be no negative results from using it in my VanagonTranny as the

Sulfur that they use is not damaging to YellowMetals. Since it was many miles back, I don't

remember much about the AmsOil as far as Noise&Shifts go but the Valvoline is very quite &

shifts flawlessly no matter what the temperature ( never yet below 10ºF ~ I missed a -7º test

here on 3Feb11 just a week before the change from R'L' to Valvo ). With the RedLine the 1st

few shifts on a "cold" or "cool" start had to be done cautiously to avoid a slight grind.

Bottom line is that Valvo' seems to be doing the job very nicely and I have not, in the

past, let the price on a product have an influence on my decisions & I

don't adhere to the old

premise that you get what you pay for ( a Timex will give you pretty much the same T'O'D' as

a Rolex ) ~ the fact that the Valvo is considerably cheaper than Ams or R'L' & others is just

FrostingOnTheCake for me.

These are simply my experiences & I'm no expert so continue to do your own research.

ORR ~ DeanB