Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:25:43 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auxiliary Air Regulator - Testing - Digijet
Comments: To: George Laubach <skiplaubach@COMCAST.NET>

Don't apologize. I am not a teacher or even a good writer so I sometimes am not clear. I don't play one on radio or TV either.

The auxiliary air regulator works just like an electric choke on a carburetor. Remember when cars had those things? Anyway, when the engine is started cold the AAR is open some amount based on ambient temperature. All it does is bypass the throttle plate to allow more air and thus an increased idle speed. The 12 volt heater causes the valve to close. The inside of the engine will heat up very quickly, much faster than the engine case or even the coolant so the heater helps to close the valve and return the idle to normal quickly. Now after the engine case is warm, when the engine is turned off the warm engine keeps the vlave closed so that when restarted the idle will be normal. The valve not open until things get cold and a fast idle is needed again.

Dennis