Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:37:46 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radius Arm (strut) Steel Sleeve Measurement

Heh.

Yup. I have a lathe Alistair, but my ML7 is still In pieces. ;)

Saw your page. Thanks!

I will cut and shape to the correct length. I have an "ok" spare sleeve in hand and there's measurements on thesamba.com

@ Dennis: Yes had seen that vendors carry them. The fact that I have yet to refinish and assemble my ML7 not withstanding, I would like to get the radius rod job done asap. OTOH, I really should open a mail box in Blaine WA and get in the habit of ordering online when need be.

The rubber bushings I purchased from VM Autohaus in Burnaby might be OEM. They were ~ $45 a pair have "Germany" and the Audi " רררר " mark on them. Then again, those marks may mean bupkuss.

@ Ralph. For sure. I think SS is the way to go! Were the SS sleeves you got *exactly* the same ID as the original sleeves?

Neil.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > Neil, > > I thought you had a lathe :) > > You can make your ones to whatever close fit you want. > > http://shufti.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/vanagon-steering-arm-boot-and-radius-arm-sleeve/ > > alistair > > > On 2012-08-29, at 5:25 PM, neil n wrote: > >> Hi all. >> >> I'll be replacing the radius arm bushings. My bet is that the steel >> sleeves are at least pretty rusty. Those sleeves are NLA from VW. >> >> I sourced some DOM ROUND TUBE 0.750 X 0.120 (inch) steel pipe locally from: >> >> http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/catalog/STEEL-COLD_ROLLED/TUBE_ROUND/DOM >> >> This pipe fits in the new rubber bushing, but the ID is *slightly* >> larger by 0.26 mm >> >> Likely I'm being totally "Type A" about this, but is that 0.26mm >> anything to be concerned about? Like will that play cause wear, >> performance, alignment issues? >> >> Thanks much, >> >> Neil. >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp >> >> '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >