Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Sep 2012 13:32:34 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Something wrong ...
Comments: To: HotelWestfalia <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

You should not do what you have done. As a test, ok, but not to leave it.

You should fix the real problem, or change the alternator wiring to be like late 86+, or add this alternator wiring fix from VanCafe.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_780_235/alternator_cable_upgrade.html

This wire will probably fix your problem. You could make your own or have one made.

83,84,85, early 86 are all similar. VW changed the charging wiring during 86 and made it even stronger a couple years later. The VanCafe wire fix makes sense.

Those red wires at your battery go things up front like the dash, they don't go to the alternator.

Mark

HotelWestfalia wrote: > Mark, > Thank you very much for the clarification. > > I would still ask; what that same looking double red-white wire is doing on > the battery positive, identified with the same colors, same size, and > double > wire as the one comes off the alternator. > Or mine is perhaps already an '85 model and maybe different? > And why the direct wire from the alt. to the battery would not be > acceptable - though originally not done that way, but eventually ending up > that way. > I think, my confusion comes from having the same color coded, same size > double wire at the battery that does not have continuity with the alt. > wires. > So, I have looked at the connections at the wire box, cleaned the already > clean connectors, put all back and now they work. > Essentially the direct wire seems to be ok but less robust. > The only reason why I reconnected the way it was, is because there is one > more wire involved which I don't know what is for. > > Thanks again for the directions, Sir. > Zoltan > >