Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2012 21:40:15 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: TRW Brake Pads? (1988 Westy)
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Speaking of rotor condition and pedal pulsing, I think this is what was causing the pedal pulse I (hopefully) had:

image of rotor: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tgOGqpeDM0o/UEPem1zHaYI/AAAAAAAAGA4/YSobSNEs5IA/s720/LF%2520Rotor%25201988.jpg

The marks were engrained far enough that a light application of fine emery cloth didn't touch them. The pads looked dirty to me:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iD7L027QExA/UEPemZBKkKI/AAAAAAAAGAs/YlF7Jr0Uc4s/s720/LF%2520Pads%25201988.jpg

But I ain't no expert. My guess is that the van sat a long time, rotors rusted, then when brakes used again, some of that rust got "jambed" into the rotors and pads.

Emery cloth was an experiment and all is moot as rotors are just below the wear limit.

The last time I asked my FLAPS about PBR Metal Masters pads, they didn't really know what I was talking about and/or couldn't get them.

Hopefully I will be able to find PBR Metal Master pads.

Neil.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> These are also known as the "Axis" metal masters. This is a semi-metallic > type shoe. There is also the non-metallic or "organic" version and then the > high end ceramics. I have had varying experiences with ceramics on a number > of different cars, some not favorable at all. While some are concerned over > rotor wear the reality is that some wear is required to keep the surface > clean from nay glaze or debris. You want to see a nice consistent polishing. > Front disc brake pulsing is not always caused by the rotors actually warping > but from the friction surface glazing and then having varying frictions hit > the pads causing the wheel pull and pulsing. As for the rear shoes comparing > most aftermarket to the OEM the rivets alone are the important part, it is > the quality and thickness of the lining. The factory shoes start out with a > 6mm lining, most replacements are only 4 or maybe 5. This put the shoes at a > poor contact patch right from the start. Shimming out the lower shoe rests > compensates for this and worn drums. > > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > neil n > Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:24 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: TRW Brake Pads? (1988 Westy) >

> Are "Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced Ceramic" pads the new "Metal Masters" ? > > Link: http://www.pbrbrakes.com/html/products/friction/deluxe/index.htm

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines