Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Sep 2012 21:45:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire rotating -- when?
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>

lol. Some tires offer free rotation when you buy a set of tires for them, for the life of the tires.

I would *hardly* say tires stores are 'experts'. Many don't even know to sell vanagon-rated tires only to Vanagon owners !

I could tell you about the 4 or so mistakes and sloppy work a Les Scwab local to me made. They wouldn't even own up to it either ..just sloppy rushed work.

I never even let any tire store touch my cars or van. I bring them my wheels and tires and only let them touch those. That way there's a higher chance things will get done right.

don't even get me started ! Now I tell them I am willing to pay extra for a careful tire mounting job, not a fast one. 'Cause even guys I know personally for years now .. will still rush a tire change , rip off a chunk of rubber, then leave it between the tire and wheel rim, resulting in a flat tire the next day.

experts ? ...that's cute ! Scott oh btw...when to rotate. for one thing ..when you can tell the difference between the front and rear tires. The fronts wear more 'roundy' on the edges. ( this is just common sense anyway, right ?? ) the rears wear less and more evenly across the whole face. when you see the fronts are more 'roundy' on the edges...it's time to rotate. Don't forget to adjust tire pressures accordingly, check the spare tire pressure, and put a tiny amount of anti-seize on the lug bolt threads.. I know, I know ..it says everywhere to never do that.. I can not possibly imagine how a bone dry wheel bolt thread is right after decades. . Not talking about making it all greasy or oily .. just a tiny bit of anti-seize on the threads. Barely any. tighten lug nuts evenly and properly tight of course. Just common sense is all.

On 9/4/2012 8:57 PM, Richard A Jones wrote: >> What's the rule o' the thumb about tire rotation? > > Rocket J: > > Ask your tire shop. You do have a tire shop that you trust > and takes care of your tire and alignment needs, don't you? > > Asking experts isn't rocket science.... Trusting them isn't > either. Better than a crowd-source question, eh? > > Oh, my rule o' thumb is that my tires rotate when I drive and > don't when I'm parked. ;-) > > Richard >