Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:04:36 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tire rotating -- when?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > lol. > Some tires offer free rotation when you buy a set of tires for them, for > the life of the tires.

Most shops offer this, some at a price, others included in the purchase price. Discount Tire includes balancing for the life of the tire as well. That way, I suppose, they get the customer returning to the shop at regular intervals, and it becomes "their" tire shop, to which they will return for tires next time.

I have been pleased with Discount Tire, although I drive past the one that is just a mile from home to go to one that is 15 miles away because the kids at the closer shop seem clueless concerning tire pressures. I always check tire pressures myself the next morning after having tire work done, anyway. Check to make sure that wheels are properly seated and that lugs/bolts are properly torqued, also. Never have had a problem regarding the latter from Discount, but when I used to use Firestone, it was common. At the same Firestone shop a salesman told me that any tire of the size noted on the tire placard was ok for my camper, no need to concern myself with the LT requirement.

A Goodyear shop I used because Goodyear tires came on my Prius once told me that the Prius was leaking power steering fluid, and needed a new pump. The Prius does not have hydraulic power steering, but electric motors instead. Same shop, I had already bought new tires from (before the power steering incident), and they mounted three correct sized new tires, and one larger. The Prius uses 185/65R15. They put three of those on, and one next size up.

Experts?? The really disturbing thing about the last screw up was that neither that shop nor the Toyota dealership here could figure out why the car pulled to one side until I found the problem myself, two alignments later. At least when confronted with the problem, the shop manager was apologetic, and mounted two new tires rather than one, as well as reimbursing me for the alignments.

Experts??

mcneely

mcneely

> > I would *hardly* say tires stores are 'experts'. > Many don't even know to sell vanagon-rated tires only to Vanagon owners ! > > I could tell you about the 4 or so mistakes and sloppy work a Les Scwab > local to me made. > They wouldn't even own up to it either ..just sloppy rushed work. > > I never even let any tire store touch my cars or van. > I bring them my wheels and tires and only let them touch those. > That way there's a higher chance things will get done right. > > don't even get me started ! > Now I tell them I am willing to pay extra for a careful tire mounting > job, not a fast one. > 'Cause even guys I know personally for years now .. > will still rush a tire change , rip off a chunk of rubber, then leave it > between the tire and wheel rim, resulting in a flat tire the next day. > > experts ? ...that's cute ! > Scott > oh btw...when to rotate. > for one thing ..when you can tell the difference between the front and > rear tires. > The fronts wear more 'roundy' on the edges. ( this is just common sense > anyway, right ?? ) > the rears wear less and more evenly across the whole face. > when you see the fronts are more 'roundy' on the edges...it's time to > rotate. > Don't forget to adjust tire pressures accordingly, > check the spare tire pressure, and put a tiny amount of anti-seize on > the lug bolt threads.. > I know, I know ..it says everywhere to never do that.. > I can not possibly imagine how a bone dry wheel bolt thread is right > after decades. . Not talking about making it all greasy or oily .. > just a tiny bit of anti-seize on the threads. Barely any. > tighten lug nuts evenly and properly tight of course. > Just common sense is all. > > > > On 9/4/2012 8:57 PM, Richard A Jones wrote: > >> What's the rule o' the thumb about tire rotation? > > > > Rocket J: > > > > Ask your tire shop. You do have a tire shop that you trust > > and takes care of your tire and alignment needs, don't you? > > > > Asking experts isn't rocket science.... Trusting them isn't > > either. Better than a crowd-source question, eh? > > > > Oh, my rule o' thumb is that my tires rotate when I drive and > > don't when I'm parked. ;-) > > > > Richard > >

-- David McNeely