Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:02:06 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Made the mistake of checking compression
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Great advice Dennis, thanks. This van was run in very dusty conditions for a large portion of its life, and probably didn't have much maintenance. I like your worn cam diagnosis, it makes perfect sense given the dual duty of each lobe. I don't believe the valves on the front half of the heads are bad and the other two okay, I'll bet they are all fine. I noticed today what I think is unusual valve train noise in the front, kind of a low level click or light knock that is not bearing noise. But it's been awhile since I've had a Vanagon and my memory has faded.

If there is no leak down in #1 & #3 at TDC, then it's the cam.

What tool do you recommend for a leak down test? Can I make one? I don't have anything to screw into the spark plug hole that I can connect to my compressor.

I'm also going to do an oil analysis to determine bearing wear.

I'm done with the WBX engine after three past experiences (fool me once, fool me twice, etc.), but inquiring minds want to know. It's a sickness, like watching a train wreck.

With time and luck, I'll have this one towed home (200 mile radius trips for me!) and there will be a Zetec or Subaru conversion engine waiting in my garage. Which one I don't know yet.

Stuart

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:26 PM To: 'Stuart MacMillan'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: Made the mistake of checking compression

You really can't say that with your current situation that you have any "percentage" of design performance. The low cylinders can be a real problem or no concern at all. The next step is to do a leak down test and try to confirm that the valves, rings, are good or bad. Since it is both cylinders 1 and 3 (the two front ones) it is possible the low readings are due to a worn camshaft (this is common) or the cam bearings are so worn it is floating at the front of the case. In either case the problem is the reduced valve lift. Worn bearings will often show up as low oil pressure.

If the low compression is due to ring or valve damage then you have to consider the risks of further operation. Bad intake valves are very confusing to the fuel injection as they are some combination of internal vacuum leaks and combustion gasses. Extreme failure can result in a flame front going into the intake tract burning up the intake boots and even getting past the throttle body. Yes one of the jobs of the air filter assembly is flame retention from back firs and other causes of flame coming back from the air intake system.

Then there is the fact that with some cylinders down the others are working harder. When you need the engine the most far from home may the melted pistons, thrown rods, and other reasons to walk home begin.

At 140K the top end of the engine owes you little. If the bottom end is healthy then a vlave job or set of heads may get you another 50K plus. You need some good information though to make a good decision.

Dennis

The ole 1.9 with about 140k on it runs like a top but has 90-150-100-130, (no increase with oil squirt). Using 150 as a benchmark I figure I'm running about 78% of original HP of 82, or 64 HP, and about 91 ft/lbs of torque, as opposed to 117.

And I thought it was just the AT that gave me poor acceleration. It's like driving my '68 Westy again, and I don't want to go back there.

So, for you experts, how many miles do I have with these worn valves? Is it worth new heads with this many miles for $1000 in parts? I'm not going to rebuild this engine.

I may run out of patience with it before it dies or I do, I'd like to be able to merge on an uphill freeway ramp without getting killed. I live in hilly country, plus there are mountains I like to visit.

Opening a Vanagon engine conversion savings account tomorrow, and I'll need at least a year.

Thanks!

P.S.: Wish I'd known about that one featured on Jalopnik!

Stuart

Tired '85 Westy in Seattle