Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:55:47 -0600
From:         OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Conversion Choices
Comments: To: ac butler <acbutler.dandy@GMAIL.COM>

ACB

My VDUBARU is a 90Westy with a 2001Subaru EJ25 below deck & I'm LovinIt, almost to

much ~ my 2001 PTCruiser daily driver, even as much fun as it is to drive, hardly ever gets to

go anywhere anymore. I finished the conversion the end of Nov09 & I since than have put just

a smidge over 40000mi's on it. I live in near AlbuquerqueNM @ 5000'ASL & the power that the

EJ25 produces it just enough for up here in the thin air. VDubaru is a 2WD 4sd with a .77 4th

& 235/75r15 tires on the rear so I can cruise @ 3400rpm@75mph for a little over 4hrs between

GasStations even with a 16'Canoe on the roof. I do believe that the TDI & ZTEC are both great

engines but I really lean towards the FlatBoxerDesign in this application since it is so close to

the way the Vanagon was originally designed. If there was an in line 4 that ran as smooth as a

Boxer, LEANED TO THE PASSENGER SIDE (especially in a Westy where there is to much weight

on the DriversSide to start with) &or got 30+MPG, I would definitely consider using it but I just

think the SubaruBoxer to be the best package going for now.

How you drive, how you use your Van', the weight of your Van' & the altitude that you live

@ & do the majority of your driving @ should be some major considerations in your decision.

ORR ~ DeanB