Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Sep 2012 13:09:49 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone use this Heater for their Vanagon?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

If the O2 level in an occupied space is changing enough to change a combustion process it most likely is also getting low enough to also cause health issues. I know this may start a war but in my opinion the Vanagon is simply too small to operate any type of non-vented or even a limited vent style heater inside especially while sleeping.

Dennis

"You had a close call -- with CO, not CO2."

Erp.

"[Some heaters have] low-oxygen shutoffs -- not because you're running short of oxygen to breathe, but because the mixture is richening to where they're starting to produce excess monoxide."

Gulp.

"Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headaches, vertigo, and flu-like effects [...]" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning>

Fits pretty well with my memory of how I felt when I woke up. According to this chart <http://www.rvlifemag.com/file363/images/rvtips363-1.gif> I must have been at about 25% COHb.

"You were probably bright cherry-red in places, since that's the color of carboxyhemoglobin."

I'm fairly red-faced right now.

"The poptop skylight gives a wonderful chimney effect."

Chimney effect. Is that what you call it when it's 20F outside and cold air is falling on my head?

"[...] a monoxide detector that screams good and loud is a good thing as well."

As is possessing suffient wit to shut the heater off. But wit is something I don't always have in suffiency, so I'll get a CO monitor.

There are considerations about types suitable for RVs and placement issues so I'll need to read up on all that.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.

On 08/30/2012 09:35 PM, David Beierl wrote: > At 08:03 PM 8/30/2012, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >> So -- no open window. Woke up later, in the dark, confused, >> nauseated, felt horrible. Saw that the heater was still glowing, >> opened the door, killed the heater. Within moments I was feeling >> better; let the place fill with sweet, sweet O2 and let the excess >> CO2 wash out; and went back to bed. If I hadn't woken when I did, I might never have.

[snip]