Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:06:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Pressure - Hankook RA08 185R14C
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

to the OP ... I don't see how there can be much confusion if the tire sticker on a vanagon says tire type and size.. as in 185 R 14 C C load rated, or LT etc... and recommended pressures front and rear. Tire size, type, and recommended F & R pressures ....that about sums it up. It's right there on the van. I've never seen that sticker missing .. right in the driver's foot well area and door area.

the only other pressure you have to go on is 'max pressure cold' stated on the tire itself. which is Not what a tire should be inflated to normally ..that's just an upper safe limit, not what you'd choose for handling and ride considerations.

VW thought quite hard about those tire size, and type, and pressures .. I'd start there and fine tune from there as needed.

it's generally a fine balance between ride quality, and handling crispness, plus consideration for tire life, traction in various situations, and fuel economy.

we ask tires to excel in various conflicting areas. Tires do quiet well actually .. considering what we hope to get out of them .....and most of the requirements are in conflict with each other. like.......dry traction versus tire tread life, for example.

just do what it says on the van's tire sticker and you'll be fine, generally speaking. And even tire stores are not smart enough to do that quiet often. I have yet to EVER see any tire shop do more than slam in the same pressure front and rear and get it out the door. There must always be more pressure in the rear on a vanagon .......read the tire sticker. you know..when all else fails, read the manual - lol !

scott

On 9/1/2012 8:34 AM, mark drillock wrote: > I was asking where in the linked to load inflation chart the pressures > are shown for the sizes I mentioned. I don't see how an inflation chart > is very helpful for Vanagons if it doesn't cover the most common Vanagon > sizes, like yours. I know what size my tires are and how to look at a > tire to find the size. > > Mark > > > George Laubach wrote: >> My tires are Hankooks. The 185R14C is on the tire, near the rim, in >> about 1" tall letters/numbers, distinct from all the small stuff. >> >> Skip >> >> Sent from my iPad >> >> On Sep 1, 2012, at 9:12 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET> wrote: >> >>> Lots of interesting info there but I somehow don't see sizes of tires I >>> have on my Vanagons. Did I miss something? >>> >>> Where is the 185R14C listed? >>> >>> Also no 195R14C, 205/70R15XL (nokian,100), 215/65R16XL (nexen,102) >>> Couldn't find the Eurovan 205/65R15C either. >>> >>> Did I miss it all or is there a more comprehensive chart somewhere >>> else? >>> >>> thanks, >>> Mark >>> >>> Dennis Haynes wrote: >>>> To really set proper inflation pressures you really need to know >>>> the weight and have the tire load inflation chart for the >>>> tires/size you are running. >>>> Here is one of the best all inclusive tire information sources that >>>> has information of most any size we will have on a Vanagon. >>>> http://www.tiresafety.com/images/Tire%20Replacement%20Manual.pdf >>>> >>>> >> >