Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Sep 2012 07:35:37 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Conversion Choices

> > As far as using it just because it's a VW engine ~ I can't see any > good reason for that to be an influence. > ORR ~ DeanB >

Using the inline VW in a Vanagon because it IS a VW....there are actually very good reasons to do that..

.Reason one being that they aren't really even a true 'conversion' at all...they are actually an option that was engineered at VW. They sold em from the factory.....The diesel Vanagons and the gasser inlines have identically cast blocks so the engine mounting system and it's parts can be sourced and copied from any diesel vanagon,though the earliest diesels had poor motor mounts. The diesel 5sp transmission is a great improvement to driving a Vanagon, too.

You can also take an inline-VW powered Vanagon to any competent VW mechanic and after a few seconds of surprise, he will see what's what and be able to fix it, using VW parts and the tools he has. He knows where to source needed parts for VWs and has suppliers. Keeps things simple.

Many of the WBX parts can be retained in the inline conversion if you don't mess with the engine management. If you simply retain the Digifant from the WBX motor, almost everything WBX is the same. The instruments, too, can all be retained in WBX-form, without any diodes, resistors, re-programming, etc.

(It is NOT written up anywhere in one source, that I found anyhow, exactly a step by step plan to remove the WBX and re-install an inlike VW motor into the vanagon....so to get it done you must gather the information for your own self...unlike some of the ....dare I say it...."Turn-Key" conversion packages around....)

VW engines (inline fours) and their parts are remarkably inexpensive and quite plentiful. There are hundreds, probably thousands of aftermarket performance vendors, and dozens of forums for the inlines... The inline VW also seems to be at least as dependable and long-lived as any of the other options commonly selected to transplant into Vanagons.

Cost is valid reason to go with a VW inline...Big reason for me..

.If I had unlimited money to spend on a van I think I might find something current overseas and simply import it to North America rather than messing with a Vanagon and a motor. transplant. It would be cool to have a twin turbo Porsche with a six-speed sequential tranny and all wheel traction controlled drive, but that would be expensive........

I sort of agree that one could select a more powerful motor than a VW inline.. It seems like it's possible to get some other motor kits for under $8k...but you still have the 'cross-manufacturer' issue if you should every have mechanical problems when away from your usual comfort zone of travel.

No, if money is no object and you are not concerned with bang for the buck..I suppose a Chrysler or a Ford or a Subaru or a Porsche or even a Ferrari motor....those would be good, too...No reason to keep it All- VW... Just toss money at it...

However, if you were diligent and somewhat lucky with finding parts, I think you could put together 3 or 4 perfectly adequate inline VW powered Vanagons and still have lots of cash left over. Compared to many of the conversions I see people completing, they're inexpensive, relatively simple and quite an effective use of your funds. I like to use mine...Cost me $3 K and I put another $600 into the ABA block upgrade I currently have...You can't even get started on a Subie conversion for that, can you?