Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Sep 2012 10:24:58 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fram Gas filter
Comments: To: Troy <colorworks@gci.net>

my '81 has the charcoal filter.

vagcat.com has what I assume are etka images. Here:

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/

You have to sign up, the site can be down sometimes, but very useful when it works.

Looking now it shows that square filter up to '91. My Bentley shows it for Digifant. But. Vagcat lists it as "Discontinued". Regarding the filters, my Digifant Pro Training Manual states: "Both are lifetime filters and do not require replacement under normal circumstances". Obviously, with time, the fuel tanks would spit out more crap, clog these square filters, cause running issues. Maybe VW figured the filter was more of a pain than it was worth?

There's two camps on this: those that run a pre pump filter and those that don't. I see the logic in keeping the pre pump filter, (though I have only a post pump filter) but then again, the fuel pump does have a screen at the inlet. images of two I looked into:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7cbiND1gKBs/SudRMYAFPyI/AAAAAAAAB3U/FR_KgCRejxs/s576/FuelPumpInlet%252785.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jrvh-BzyqaI/SudPmutt5KI/AAAAAAAAB3A/T1eM09BKyYQ/s576/FuelPumpInlet%252781.jpg

There's likely info in the archives on whether or not the later model years came with that filter. It also may have been that in different markets, i.e. California, they were only sold with the post pump filter.

Neil.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Troy <colorworks@gci.net> wrote: > Hi Folks: > > I have an 89 Westy, and trying to determine a suitable Fram (preferebly > clear) fuel filter to use. I understand the filter was not stock, but my van > has one, and see no harm leaving it in place. Problem is I have no ideal > what Fram filter has the 14mm barb ends, and is clear. Can somesome suggest > a filter to use? Does anyone know what year VW did away with the square > prefilter and went to 14mm from the tank to the fuel pump? Did the early > model have a charcoal canister filter or was that added later? > > Troy

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines