Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Sep 2012 13:30:18 -0700
From:         Jeff <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Conversion Choices
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>

The inline 4 was never available in Europe in a gasoline version...

"The 2 biggest down issues I have with it is that it is not a Boxer ( I'm kinda in to those when it is for my Vanagon ) & again most of the weight ends up on the DriversSide where you already always have the drivers Lbs"

By reading some of these posts  like the one above , it appears some think a inline-four is not an original engine package for the Vanagon?

15-30 years ago , before the Subaru or other conversion concepts were out, the inline -four was the common choice . Usually though, it was simply a Diesel to gas conversion like my 82 Westy is.

The inline-four was common in Europe in Diesel and gas configurations, and in South Africa.

The notion that the inline 4 engine adds extra weight to the drivers side I think is unfounded. If true, it can't be much .

VW continued the WBX and dropped the inline -4 Diesel after a couple years. Does anyone know why ?

Robert 1982 Westfalia

> >     As far as using it just because it's a VW engine ~ I can't see any > good reason for that to be an influence. >                             ORR ~ DeanB >

   Using the inline VW in a Vanagon because it IS a VW....there are actually very good reasons to do that..