Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:29:04 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      79 Bus with 81 engine - Hot Start issue
Comments: To: "type2@type2.com" <type2@type2.com>

Hey Gang,   I’m working on a 79 bus with a Vanagon air cooled engine.    The timing is set right (8.5 btdc) and the engine starts and revs right up when cold.  It does rev a bit high but not too worried about that right now.  It has great pickup and power going down the road.  Engine is smooth, no misses and as much torque as I can get out of her.   Here is the issue, when I park it back in my driveway and try to start it again once the engine is hot, it just will not kick over.  Let it sit for a while and it starts again.  Fuel injection should be flawless and kick over everytime.  What to test or replace?  All the manuals and emails talk about cold starting issues.    I have read some of the archives and I’m having errors trying to reach the Type2 archive list, but I am reading information on the TEMP 2 sender.    Does the Temp 2 sender affect the starting issues when the engine is hot?   I will also double check the fuel pressure with my gage to get the readings for acceptable pressures.   Any hints as to where I should try to diagnose this?  Thanks, Joel  Western New York LiMBO Respresentative www.limbobus.org Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club www.empirevwcamping.org Westies@Watkins XI is planned for September 21-22-23, 2012 www.westies-at-watkins.org