Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:50:06 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Low Compression, Longevity of the WBX'er and $20K Vans
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

Yeah, <sigh> tried 3 bottles of the Subie conditioner with no luck! Then saw "industrial strength" stuff at a truck stop and almost bought some, but decided I didn't want to dump any more stuff into the cooling system for fear of causing bigger problems. Jeff Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > You probably know this, but Subaru coolant conditioner may help that > weeping coolant issue. > Good on ya for setting that bus straight. > No doubt. One could "go nuts" with $ ..... on any vehicle. My only big > gripe right is spending said $ on parts that sometimes aren't really > up to snuff. Like the rebuilt caliper that just doesn't slide right; > the one I just installed on the p-side is smooth as silk. Yes I could > take it apart, clean and lube it but why? > < steps off soap box > ;^) > I've looked at the SBM option. Yup. Big bucks. And as per Dennis's > comments on his big rig, as for maintenance, we're getting off pretty > easy. (shady VW repair shops aside) > Neil. > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM, J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net> > wrote: > > While this whole thread started I was out of town on a camping trip, > > I didn't want to chime in until I got home (didn't want to jinx > > myself) but my '85 poptop Weekender auto/ps/a/c with 146K miles did > > just beautifully. I've only owned her a little over two years, and > > while I don't know her complete history, I do know the PO was going > > broke trying to keep her alive. He was getting raped by a VW > > "specialty shop" because he knew NOTHING about cars. .... When I > > bought the van it barely ran and brake pedal went all the way to the > > floor. .... It was running on three cylinders (bad plug wire) and > > had almost no exhaust system left. .... I probably have 5k in the > > van at this point and it now runs (and stops) fine. On my trip I > > cruised at 65 mph with no problems, and had to watch myself as I > > kept creeping up to 70+ at times. It never missed a beat all weekend > > in over 600 miles. I've never done a compression test on the engine, > > and probably never will. It leaks almost no oil. In cold weather the > > right cylinder head weeps a bit of coolant. But other than these few > > minor quirks, it has been very reliable. ..... As for the $20K van, > > I may end up there someday, but price a Road Trek or Sportsmobile > > van! > -- > Neil n > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines