Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:39:51 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low Compression, Longevity of the WBX'er and $20K Vans
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

Congrats, you have been driving on borrowed time, and have borrowed a lot! 3700 miles a year is pretty easy duty though, but at some point the pressure in the cooling system will blow out the seal. Visualize a tiny passageway of ever expanding corrosion between the coolant and the outdoors. If you can plug it up now, for however it lasts, you'll have more years left given your driving duty.

If you can't successfully plug it, the first time you drive it after it's been sitting for a few months will likely be the time it blows.

I've found these engines do give you several warnings before they fail, whether it's coolant leaks, low oil pressure, rod knock, noisy lifters, overheating, etc., and it's up to you to heed them. You can have a breakdown, or you can plan for a new engine (or you can just expect a breakdown, like I did).

Good luck!

Stuart