Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:18:02 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy Car Covers
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>

---- Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET> wrote: > The first big rain here (Vancouver) a few days ago provoked a quick > check of leaks for me. I found the angle window seals leaking - I put > something similar to Vaseline on them.... considering doing all the > window rubbers, but that is an expensive job - which we may do when/if > we do the paint. > > I looked at the fridge vent and thought I should cover it. I know > they sell things for the purpose.

And the refrigerator ven covers work pretty well. Just be sure to take it off when driving, or it will blow away. Or contrive one that fastens on. > > Tom > > On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: > > Being a Seattleite, I sympathize. The biggest problem we have here in the wet northwest is that all covers trap moisture, and cause more problems than they prevent. It's an average of 45 degrees here with 80% to 100% humidity in the winter. Covers are intended to protect from sun damage and dust, neither of which are a problem here. > > > > It's best to just drive it for an hour every month or so, and clean the moss/algae/mold off the outside in the spring. If you can suspend a tarp over it to keep the rain off, that will help too, since air circulation is key. If you don’t drive it, get a battery charger that is designed to keep the battery charged in storage. > > > > My experience with Westies here since 1974 (a '68, '84 and an EVC) is they don't leak unless the window seals are shot or they are rusted out, so just dry it out during the winter by driving it. > > > > Stuart > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of J B > > Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:23 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Westy Car Covers > > > > Hi everyone: > > > > Will most likely not be driving the camper during the winter and would like some opinions on car covers for my 81 Westy. I have seen examples on Ebay from $75 to over $400 on GoWesty. Can anyone please share any experience they have had? I don't have a garage and I mainly want to protect from the wet/moldy Portland winters. > > > > I also noticed one on Samba for a reasonable price > > > > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1028150 > > > > Thanks - John.

-- David McNeely