Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:39:49 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 Automatic - Transmission rebuilt in 2006,
              Now only has 1st and Reverse Need Advice
Comments: To: "Robert M. Stewart - my vanagon" <my88vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

First you need to find out where the fluid is going! My bet is that it is leaking down the governor shaft into the differential. Otherwise you will see the leak on the ground. The only other option is into the cooling system but usually if the oil-water cooler fails it coolant goes into the transmission.

The governor also controls up shifting. There is a seal. The governor and seal can be serviced with the transmission in place.

There is only one band, the 2nd gear brake band that holds the drum for 2nd gear operation. It rarely fails but the piston/seals can. These two can also be serviced with the transmission in place.

Each of the other gear selections rely on multiple plate clutches/steel plates, ("steels"), and pistons to apply or release them. Any loss of the sealing ability of the direct clutch or brake band can prevent upshifting.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Robert M. Stewart - my vanagon Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:12 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: 88 Automatic - Transmission rebuilt in 2006, Now only has 1st and Reverse Need Advice

Hello Everyone,

My 88 automatic was having issues with leaking small amounts of tranny fluid over the last 2 months. I kept filling it up but somewhere it would slowly leak out.

I had taken a 2 hr trip and it drove just fine.

The next day I went to drive it and it would not shift out of 1st. I added fluid and it shifted for properly from 1, 2, 3rd then I stopped the van and later tried again and it would not shift out of 1st.

It only has 1st and reverse as of now.

I assume that because it was low on fluid and was driven for the 2 hr trip I may have burnt the bands?

How much do you think it will cost to repair this?

I never smelt anything burning from the van ever.

Is this something that can be adjusted? or do I have to have the bands all replaced?

The transmission had all the bands replaced and the tranny was rebuilt back in 2006. I spent $1800 for it.

Up until recently it was shifting and driving just fine.

Thanks for the advice.

Robert Monticello NY 347 731 7938 cell