Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Sep 2012 21:42:42 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Diesel-Vanagon] Re: Oil temp gauges,
              choices? Using water temp sender + gauge?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

the only real necessity for the factory is to get the cars through the warrant period .. and to not have to answer questions about high oil temps too often at the dealerships while the cars were pretty new still.

Given that, sounds like a fine fix !

On 9/13/2012 8:50 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > I'll through a little more mystery in the factory oil temperature gauges. As > these cars were coming out many folks complained of high oil temperature > readings. For both cars with gauges and the digital displays the fix was to > replace the sensor! Yes let's fix the high oil temp problem buy fixing the > gauges. From experience the inline engines used o4 4 speeds or with low > fifth gears can get the oil hot! The early three speed automatics were oil > killers. Even my 88 fox with 4 speed get the oil hot enough to keep cooking > the valve cover gasket. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > mark drillock > Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:02 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: [Diesel-Vanagon] Re: Oil temp gauges, choices? Using water temp > sender + gauge? > > I mostly agree. Mixing a generic VDO gauge with another brand sender made > for a specific vehicle isn't the way to go. > > For fun I just now tested 3 VDO temp gauges and senders I have on hand. > I used a 12 volt battery and a pot of boiling water, at sea level. > > The first was a new VDO aftermarket water temp gauge 0-250 F. It was paired > with the aftermarket VDO brand temp sender of the matching range, sold to me > at the same time as I purchased the gauge. > With the sender in rapidly boiling water the gauge read almost exactly > between the marks for 200 and 225 F. A whisker higher than the midpoint, > maybe 215 F? Pretty good I'd say. > > Next I grabbed a used VW car oil temp gauge made by VDO and the VW sender I > pulled from the same car when I pulled the gauge. Both are marked 0-150 C. > The sender has the same part number marked on it as the one you linked to > from TBD. > With the sender in rapidly boiling water the gauge read almost exactly at > the 100 C mark, just a whisker below, 98/99? Pretty good again. > Especially for parts pulled from a 25 year old car, with date codes on the > parts indicating they are really that old. > > The third set didn't act right. This used 150 C VW car oil temp gauge read > very low when paired with the VDO sender I had it stored with. I then > connected up the sender from the other VW VDO setup and the gauge now read > correctly, near 100 C. Then I got out the magnifying glass and looked more > closely at the odd reading sender. It said 180 C on it, so no reason to > expect it should work right with a 0-150 C gauge. The VW part number on it > had a B suffix, rather than the A of the 150 C sender. > The rest of the number was the same. > > I wanted to test some more but my wife was headed home and used car parts > are not welcomed in the kitchen when she is there too. > > Mark > > > > Dennis Haynes wrote: >> In dash gauges are not high precision devices. I have found that the >> for the VDO gauges the senders for the aftermarket gauges often do not >> match what is used for OEM gauges. Get the correct sender that would >> be sold with/for the gauge you are using. >> >>