Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:16:00 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: For you paddlers--a petition
Comments: To: VWBrain@AOL.COM

In Oklahoma we also have this bizarre situation of streams being considered private property. The water is public property, but the streamside owner also owns the stream bottom. So, put your canoe in, slip downstream with pleasure and impunity until you reach a riffle requiring walking a bit. Step on the stream bottom, you are trespassing. Further, streams are divided into navigable and non-navigable by state law, and whether the stream is in fact navigable and the Corps of Engineers would recognize it as such is irrelevant.

Texas, too, has some really odd water laws, but at least one is allowed on any navigable stream by law, and can portage if necessary, or camp if below the first berm. Now, not all property owners know or recognize that, so permission is always best. An irate Texas rancher with a firearm is not someone to argue legalities with. And, some streams, even navigable ones, may have fences across them. That is true of the Sabinal River, even within its navigable stretch. And I guarantee that no local magistrate will ever find in favor of a non-resident of the county when a landowner accuses him of trespass. Even county roads, built and maintained at county expense, may have gates across them with no-trespassing signs. The sign legally applies to the adjacent land, but is often placed on the gate, intended to intimidate non-residents from driving on the road though it is perfectly legal to do so.

Oh, I am a native of Texas and consider the state my home, though circumstances keep me away. I dearly love it, though it has gone far awry in recent times. To emulate someone who has been in the news for his obscene declarations about his detractors lately, "The times, they will be (eventually) a changin." Texas will someday see the error of its current errant ways.

mcneely

---- Mark Dearing <VWBrain@AOL.COM> wrote: > Hello Jim think that is bad try being in Virginia where they can close a > class 5 whitewater creek using a Kings grant ( if a single person owns both > sides he can claim the whole creek),which is what has happened to johns > creek . This creek is one of the best,drops 165 ft a mile for 4.5 miles, 35 > named rapids, bambi meets godzilla being one. he did this after the AWA > had bought property and built a parking lot and change house. damn shame > later mark d > > > In a message dated 9/14/2012 9:04:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > jim.felder@GMAIL.COM writes: > > I hope this is OK with the moderators. > > I have an online petition going to try to make the US Army Corps of > Engineers reverse their decision to close the locks on the Alabama rivers to > recreational traffic. The link is > <http://www.change.org/petitions/alabama-scenic-river-trail-push-back-against-closing-alabama-river-locks-to-recreational- > traffic> > > Sent from my diesel Westy in Chickasabogue Alabama

-- David McNeely