Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:29:03 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Low compression, more test results
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>

It's good to add a hydrualic lifter additive to the oil on old waterboxer engines. It's not just from sitting .. it's from being goo-ed up over time. I always put in some treatment or cleaner.. CD-2 , marvel mystery oil etc.

last caps aren't usually needed in my experience, fwiw.

On 9/8/2012 5:05 PM, Larry Alofs wrote: > " and adding lash caps." > > Can someone explain about lash caps? > > Larry A. > > > On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Tom Carchrae <tom@carchrae.net> wrote: >> Hi Stuart, >> >> My van had low compression on one cylinder when I bought it earlier >> this year. I took it to a mechanic (here in Vancouver) and he was >> able to restore the compression on my engine by adjusting the valves >> and adding lash caps. This included adjusting one to 0 lash. >> >> I'm not convinced my engine is well just yet. I've had a series of >> coolant issues, possible minor head gasket leak, but not confirmed. >> Anyway, van runs quite well, although certainly not fast, it seems to >> have a reasonable amount of power. I did get overtaken by another >> vanagon going up a very steep mountain hill; after that I started to >> get engine envy/doubt again. :) >> >> The worst scare so far has been starting it after it sitting for a few >> weeks. Oh the horrid tapping! A quick Google said lifters are prone >> to draining if left sit, so I crossed my fingers and drove it for a >> while and now it sounds fine again. >> >> Tom >> >> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote: >>> Well, for those who have been following by email thread about making the >>> mistake of checking compression on my 140k mile original engine >>> (90-150-100-130) I’ve done some more tests. >>> >>> >>> >>> 1. Valves were zero lash or 1 turn in, no valve noise, timing dead on >>> >>> 2. Manifold vacuum is 12” Hg with ±1” tick (should be steady 17-21) >>> >>> 3. No detectable vacuum leaks (propane test), all vacuum hoses new. >>> >>> 4. 22% leak down on #1, could hear leakage all three places, but >>> exhaust and intake were louder than the dipstick, with the exhaust being the >>> worst. (Should have used the decibel meter on my iPhone, but I didn’t want >>> to get it greasy ;-) ). Didn’t bother testing the others after this result. >>> >>> 5. Does not burn oil (in 1000 miles at least) Plugs that came in it >>> were clean. >>> >>> 6. PO installed reman AFM recently >>> >>> 7. Idles smooth (as any of them anyway), runs well, no coolant leaks, >>> but has poor acceleration and poor gas mileage (~15 mpg highway). >>> >>> >>> >>> Looks like it’s got some leaking valves. No surprise this rig is worn out, I >>> assumed it was, but I could drive it home at least. I hope I can get a few >>> thousand more miles out of it so I can save some dough for a conversion! >>> >>> >>> >>> Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but never for long. I waited until after my >>> planned summer trips to check the engine condition, so I was blissfully >>> ignorant on purpose. I’m still planning a couple of fall trips nearby >>> though. What the hell, I’ve got AAA premier. >>> >>> >>> >>> Stuart >>> >>> ’85 Westy, purchased in May