Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:07:41 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flex Neck LED Lamp
Comments: To: Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>

I stumbled across the very same light on Amazon. In reading their material about the lamp, I found the manufacturer/distributor' name and I called them. Told them the problem with the battery pack and they are sending me several.

Except for the flex-neck part - which is always subject to flex failure - the lamp is very well built. The only real weakness is that battery pack. It is flimsily made. After telling the company rep about it - he volunteered to send me the spare parts at no charge. This was just a couple of days ago so it remains to be seen if I actually get the parts.

On the subject of lamps for the work bench, in our vans, or where ever, For me the ideal lamp would be built like the flex-neck lamp, but with a halogen bulb focusing beam. The Maglite flash lights are built that way. You can rotate the lamp head and vary the lighting pattern from a broad general area light right down to a very focused, narrow and bright beam on a spot. This would be great for doing detail work on tiny things like some of my artwork, but also for repairing glasses with those tiny screws that you can hardly see, or repairing a fishing reel with their tiny screws, or working on the innards of a Vanagon speedometer or even working on a watch. But this type of lamp is something I have not been able to find.

John Rodgers

On 9/9/2012 10:41 AM, Stephen Grisanti wrote: > I have a lamp just like this that I bought on closeout for that price at Lowe's or Home Depot. The name on the handle is Perfect Flame. I just checked mine and the three AAA batteries need to be replaced but there is no corrosion, fortunately. > > Stephen > > --- On Sun, 9/2/12, Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > From: Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM> > Subject: Re: Flex Neck LED Lamp > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Sunday, September 2, 2012, 9:02 AM > > So, John are you willing to share this link? :-) > > I find that the AAA or AA cells in LED lights last so long that there > is a greater chance of one of them leaking. And you still get some > light even if one cell is going bad. > > Larry A. > > > On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM, JRodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com> wrote: >> Found it!! Amazon has come through once again. >> >> John >> >> >> On 9/1/2012 9:42 PM, JRodgers wrote: >>> >>> I've got a now defunct flex neck lamp that I bought a year or so ago on >>> the recommendation of someone on the list - and I don't remember where >>> it came from. Hope someone remembers. >>> >>> It'd got 6 LED's for light, and they are in a somewhat conical shaped >>> metal shade. That in turn is attached to a flexible shaft that is >>> attached at the other end to a kind of "C" clamp that houses three "AAA" >>> batteries in it. It's brushed aluminum or chrome, and the battery cap is >>> magnetic. The clamp allows it to be easily clamped to a table or other >>> object. >>> >>> The batteries corroded the insides and the little metal connectors in >>> the battery holder failed as well as one of the springs that hold the >>> batteries in place. >>> >>> Does anyone know about this lamp? Remember it. Or can otherwise point me >>> in a direction to get another. It was perfect for my use and not to >>> expensive - like about $20. >>> >>> Any leads would be appreciated. >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> John Rodgers >