Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Sep 2012 17:50:40 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What Determines Steering Knuckle Replacement?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Good to get an experienced second opinion Scottt. Thanks. And an interesting thought on securing the bearing race to spindle.

And along those lines.....

I wondered how the bearings, assuming all OK, would stay put. Looking and staring at my spare knuckle beside me in the vise, I see the shoulder where the small bearing inner race bumps up against.

My guess is that if all parts OK, and nut adjusted right, that smaller bearing inner race gets pushed a *little* up against that shoulder on knuckle, just enough to keep it from turning. The inner race on the larger bearing gets pushed up against the steel collar accomplishing same.

Or am I wrong?

OTOH, I can also see how if over tightened, the outer bearing race might get enlarged by getting pushed too hard up against that shoulder. Then it might end up spinning on the spindle a little, or a lot.

On the adjustment front. Yes. I see how even an 1/8th turn or less makes the difference between a washer that moves under "screwdriver + finger pressure", or not.

Neil.

On 9/9/12, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> My hunch is you're probably be ok with new bearings and races on that > steering knuckle and in that hub.

> Try some clever 'miracle' trick on your spindle .. > or put it together carefully with quality parts and grease, and perfect > workmanship.. > and keep an eye on it. > that seems most practical to me. I don't think it's likely you'll break > down somewhere or anything,, or have some catastrophic failure. > > fwiw ..the way I set up front wheel bearing play is ..with everything > well seated and in good condition, > and while turning the hub / dish ......I tighten down to 'pretty tight' .. > then I back off to 'no pressure for sure' ....I might do that a few > times, always turning the hub too .. > then I go for 'zero play' plus a teeny tiny itsy bitsy more. > Like zero play and .001 % tighter from there. 'Barely any load on the > bearings ..but a teeny bit still.' > I've done that about a million times in nearly 50 years of mostly full > time car work. Never an issue or problem. > > you just made me think of some 'non-peranent bedding compound' on the > spindle under the bearing. > Soemthing sticky that has some body to it , but won't harden, > and will contribute to the inner side of the bearing race not rotating > on the spindle. > Right now my mind is on Permatex Aviation gasket sealer..

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines