Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:12:39 -0600
From:         david hardy <david@PLANETMIND.NET>
Subject:      Project Report : gas tank reseal

Just fixed my 1990's leaky gas tank, and thought I'd share my experience for the benefit of those who think they might undertake the project, since it seems it's a pretty common problem. It was quite a pain, though it will definitely be easier next time around. Helps to know where everything is on top of the tank - it's all really well hidden.

Getting all the gas out of the tank turned out to be almost impossible, so I ended up doing it with about a gallon of gas in there, which made the tank pretty unwieldy. Getting the tank out was pretty easy - the hardest part was getting those darn factory hose clamps off the braided lines going to the expansion tanks. Next time, I'd just cut those hoses since you'd be dumb not to replace them - and all the pieces of braided fuel lines under there for that matter.

Turns out my problem wasn't the seals at all, but that the crossover vent hose had come off the T-connector on the driver's side. If it were the other side, it might have been possible to reattach it by reaching in there through the wheel well (after taking the wheel off). Probably worth checking to see if that's your problem before pulling the tank - and before spending $$ on all the seals and tubing. All my seals looked fine - it was the braided vent lines that were in bad shape.

Getting the thing back in involved a bit of pain, esp. working alone...it has to go in front-first, which of course is where all the vent connections are. So you can only hook up one side of the crossover hose, since it has to go *over* a bunch of stuff. Since you have access thru the passenger wheel well after the tank is in, I left that side disconnected, and was able to push the fittings for it and the filler vent pipe into the seals after getting the tank installed. All told it was about a 4 hr job. Sure is nice not to be breathing gas fumes every time I fill up, though.

David '90 Westy '86 Westy '83 Diesel Westy