Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:44:09 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      How To Choose YOUR Engine Conversion

Some time ago, when I thought I'd read (and knew) it all about various conversions, I wrote something up and posted it on the old Vanagon Wiki. In hindsight, given that I know more now, recalling that I had posted that article kind of makes me cringe a little. Anyhow......

The one main point (directly made or inferred) from that article that keeps sticking in my head; read, learn, read some more, then decide what swap might work best for YOU.

So many things to consider, but sourcing a good used engine or donor is probably the most important aspect of any conversion. And on that topic, though there are variations in engine specs etc., regardless of which popular engine one goes with, if it's in good shape, remains well maintained and the swap is done properly, any of those popular engines will be pretty darn reliable.

(btw, you can still get crate Zetecs for $1000?)

3 or 4 years ago, I gave serious consideration to the 2.2 Subaru. For me the newb, OBD1 had appeal, the swap was proven and there was TONS of info on it. But locally, all I saw were high mileage, beaten to death Suby 2.2 donors. However. I kept seeing (and still do) VW inline engines all the time on Craigs List. $600 for a low mileage 2.0, harness/ECU and other bits from a reputable vendor, pushed me over the edge.

My point is, that worked for me in my situation. Yes there were things to iron out, mostly due to my lack of skills. ( "Really? You're going to learn MIG and fabrication and wiring and ......") but it worked for me, in part because I wanted to learn more than just bolting parts in. (which I *think* I did. ....... I *think*. ;^)

Neil.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines