Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:49:03 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: What dumb thing do you repeatedly do with your Vanagon?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

At 12:12 PM 9/21/2012, Stuart MacMillan wrote: >I routinely pack up the van after camping and forget to lower the top. I >usually see that though before I drive off! Then I forget to close the >skylight and drive off . . . The mental exercise of loading all my crap in >the nooks and crannies apparently exhausts my brain cells.

Starting Checklist. First items for camping, last two always.

Cord unplugged (and hose, if you're one of the four people who uses one). Graywater arrangement packed up if applicable Jacks and Chocks pulled Top closed Skylight fully open or fully closed* Last thing before driving off - every single time - reach over shoulder and verify that the poptop latch pin is fully seated flush with the lock assembly. You remember this better after the top jumps open when you're doing sixty.

Print it, stick it on the dash, touch each item with your finger before turning the key.

On my little graywater tank (two-gallon gas tank painted gray, close to invisible if you weren't looking deliberately) I had a nylon cord with a spring clip to the driver's door handle. I use bright yellow chocks and put them on the driver's side when possible (at Buses by the Buoy a couple weeks ago the entire left side of the van was a few inches off the ground so they couldn't, but usually no problem).

*One of the things I miss about the Westy is that skylight, and I drove over 125,000 miles with it open most of the time except in the winter. It's located on a neutral-pressure area of the Westy roof so it will either take in or discharge freely under way. That includes rain, but you can reach the knob by stretching back, to close it without stopping. As long as it's fully open it won't rattle around and beat up the rollers. You need to drill a couple drain holes in the bottom of the vacuum-formed mechanism housing so any rainwater will drain through and not accumulate (whether or not you drive with it open).

Yrs, d