Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:54:26 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electric conversions (Chevy Volt)
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

I myself enjoy going fast! I was just pointing out that if he was happy with the fuel economy driving 70 that it would be 20-25% better at 55-60. Yes a real car getting the same or better fuel economy then an economy type car.

Dennis

I understand but there is something satisfying about "keeping up with traffic".

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com www.grow-sun.com

BTW, driving at 60 mph for a highway trip only adds minutes, not hours to a one day drive compared to 70 mph. With stops, starts, slow downs for conditions and so on, the average speed of the two trips is not very different one from the other. mcneely

---- Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > Try the trip at 55-60! > VW has to work at getting their act together for their gasoline > products. My son had a 2009 Jetta with the 2.5-5 and now has a 2012 with the 2.0 turbo. > 31-32 is the best he does. The 2.0 turbo is a hare better of the two > on the highway. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On > Behalf Of Tom Hargrave > Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 11:49 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Electric conversions (Chevy Volt) > > My Wife works for Chrysler and we bought a new Chrysler 300 with a V6 > engine and XF 8 speed automatic transmission. It's rated at 31 MPG > highway but I routinely get 35 MPG between Alabama & Wisconsin and > that's for the entire trip, running at least 70 MPH. She works in > Wisconsin so we routinely drive back and forth. > > Based on this car and where I believe the auto industry is going I > believe electric vehicles are doomed. If Chrysler can get 35 MPG out > of a full size > 4 door family sedan today, they should be able to push past 50 MPG in > less than 5 years. No wonder the American auto industry doesn't want > to go electric - they know better. > > Thanks, Tom Hargrave > www.stir-plate.com > www.towercooler.com > www.kegkits.com > www.grow-sun.com > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On > Behalf Of Dennis Haynes > Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 10:17 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Electric conversions (Chevy Volt) > > My company in its effort to be green has installed a dual charging > station in two of our facilities and let electric car owners us them free of charge. > We have a brother/sister pair with a "Volt" each, one black (his) and white. > The two of them just rave about driving them. I am curious though if > they are effective for long distance use say NY to Florida. I am > currently down in Florida and ended up renting a 2011 Ford Focus. In > mixed driving it is still doing ~33mpg. Doing highway from the airport