Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:37:11 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear Hatch Gasketage
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

---- The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM> wrote: > > Nothing wrong with my skylight, but the replacement gaskets that > > are supposed to be proper for it, from places like Bus Depot and > > Van Cafe are too thin, and the skylight still leaks when one is > > installed properly. > > You should have no problem getting a good seal if you are using an OEM spec skylight such as the ones sold by us, the Skylight Guy, and Van-Café. However the aftermarket knockoffs sold by some other retailers don't meet OEM specs for profile and flexibility. As a result they can be more leak prone, don't always play nicely with the stock hardware, and in the event of impact (from inside or outside the van) can transfer the force to the pop top itself (potentially damaging it at the hinge points) rather than flexing and absorbing the impact as the original design intended.

My skylight came from you. Furthermore, I and two professional shops including one that works exclusively on skylights and windows spent a great deal of time, effort, and money trying to get a proper seal by manipulating the hinges and the other hardware. I bought two different gaskets from you, before I gave up and got the oversized one.

Thanks, David McNeely

> > - Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > www.busdepot.com > (215) 234-VWVW > > _____________________________________________ > Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT

-- David McNeely