Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Sep 2012 13:31:28 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator continuous-duty rating?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

The Automotive/RV world is drastically different from the marine world for a number of reasons. Some of the marine stuff just isn't needed and the benefits are often limited once on land.

Marine batteries need to have charging closely monitors. In addition to the fear of hydrogen accumulation in closed compartments off gassing can be a real concern. Add some sulfuric acid to salt water and you get chlorine. That is a huge driver for AGM or Gel batteries..

Larger boats will have the engines operating for hours on end, at speed with alternators under load since most all accessories are always used. Our radiator fans and even high beams, wipers, etc, are intermittent loads.

The Vanagon is one of a few vehicles where the engine runs at a high load, speed for most of its travel time. But every time we stop or even slow down, get fuel, whatever it gets to rest. In the electric motor world, a continuous load is one that goes for three hours or more. How often do we drive, full power, full electrical load for three hours? I can't go that far in the Northeast without hitting a toll booth. Worse is needing a wee-wee break.

My RV had one of those 160 Amp Leece-Neville Super-duper alternators from the factory. Started failing last year. Luckily a standardized mounting was used so I had choices to replace it. I went with the AC-Delco style due to higher efficiency and greater output. (200 Amp). Makes a very noticeable difference. Unfortunately after a few short successful trips I went from home to Dover De. Last year and the regulator failed. So in less than 300 miles, a brand new, (not rebuilt) part caused me grief. You can boil some batteries and take out a lot of light bulbs at 18 volts. Point is regardless of what you spend stuff happens.

Dennis