Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2012, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:36:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1982 Westfalia Diesel ( stock ) belts?
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

Right ... a Rabbit crank pulley has the right diameter and offset, and takes a common 10mm belt . If I do 'anything' with a diesel vanagon , I put on a good Single Belt Conversion. Any engine I build, and DV I bring back to life etc.

That two belt thing is serious PIA ...that set up has caused 40,000 skinned nickles since DV's came out, and gallons a leaked technician blood. It's even a pain with the engine on the engine stand out of the van !

( got two DV's for sale btw ...both Sunroof Models.. the 82 is unusually pristine and has a stock rebuilt engine . the other is a 5 speed Sunroof model .........runs with tired engine, doing a 1.6 turbo conversion to it. Both are in Southern Oregon. )

scott www.turbovans.com

On 9/29/2012 3:12 AM, ralph meyermann wrote: > This summer I purchased a single belt pulley set up from Scott and love > it!! It took a different waterpump and pulley also a single groove pulley > for the crank. It makes it easier to get a belt from most flaps to get you > by in a pinch on trips due to the dual belts being so short they usually > don't stock them and the single is so much easier to change and tighten up. > It makes it a 5 minute job unless you have a lot packed on top of the > hatch! Also only 1 spare belt to carry with! > > Velma 82diesel 1.6 na westy > > On Sep 28, 2012 11:43 PM, "mark drillock" <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > > The alternator belt goes on the inside pulley on the waterpump. Then the > belt from the crank to the waterpump goes on last. > > The second belt is adjusted by adding or removing shims from the middle > of the outer WP pulley, which is a split pulley. Be careful tightening > the 3 bolts because you can get the pulley halves cocked as you tighten > the bolts and then the pulley can get bent or cracked if you don't > notice the pulley inner lip catching on the hub. Tighten the 3 bolts a > little at a time, around and around, watching the pulley inner edge. > > Mark > > > > Dana Mueller wrote: >> Mark, >> >> Thanks for the response. So the next question is does the >> alte...