Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Oct 2012 17:42:16 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Handy way to carry long stuff in your Vanagon...

If you have the folding bench seat/bed in the back like I do and you often carry long stuff... But you have other big things that fill the floor space so you don't want the bed folded down...or you may want a portion of the seat to use while you have long stuff aboard....I often carry my sailboards inside and change into my wet suit in the back....stuff like that......

I was always just shoving lumber, sheetrock, sailboards, ladders, etc. right in over the back of the bench seat...dragging it over the upholstery, trying not to snag anything, having a hard time with stuff like sailboards in padded bags not sliding in easily........ Now my van is by no means a Garage Queen, but I do like to avoid trashing it needlessly. I also use it daily and I'm often carrying long things. One day it occurred to me that I could 'cap' the top edge of the bench seat back with some PVC 4" pipe to protect the upholstery and to make stuff slide in with ease. I cut a length just slightly shorter than the seat is wide then cut it length wise on my table saw, twice...taking a section out just slightly thinner than my seat back. I took a disc sander and rounded up the edges of the cuts and the ends of the pipe. It just pushes down onto the seat back and stays there by slightly compressing the padding....Stuff slides right in over it without worry of harming anything. When you want the bed down you just pull off the 'cap' and all is good. Simple, cheap, needs no tools and has no moving parts...

Another fixture I have to carry 4x8' sheets of ply or wallboard or loads of long lumber inside...saves tying it on a roof rack, keeps it inside out of the airflow and the rain...

I took some 24" wide rips of 3/4" plywood and cut them so one acts as a leg and one the top of an "L-shaped" table with one leg....What it does is it bridges across the rear floor with one end of the top on the folded up kitchen top above the fridge and sink...the leg screws on the other side, upright near the slider door. The 2' width makes it stable fore an aft. I have a small rotating brace that can be used to 'triangulate' it side to side...sometimes I use that. Four screws hold the whole structure togehter and when it's apart, the two sheets lay flat on the floor without taking up much room. Now, with that PVC slider cap on the bench seat back I can put sheets of ply or sheetrock inside... The first one you have to be careful loading, but then you just pile them in....Long dimensional lumber goes well on the inside structure, too...14' will fit inside with the tailgate closed.. I sometimes clamp the load to that table, somtimes I use a bungee to bundle it all together.... Saves me lots of time over tying it on the roof. Lets me park overnight without worrying about getting long materials rained on and if I lived in a crime area, stolen from the roof...

Hope that helps some other worker or wet windsurfer, kayaker, anybody else that wants to put long stuff inside often.

Don Hanson