Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2012 16:28:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fixed; was Baffled, giving up
Comments: To: HotelWestfalia <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

If you have another regulator/brush package .. no harm in seeing what happens by trying that one.

I find that 'most' waterboxers either take no rev to get charging started, or just a slight one. I find that on an 82 DV with 65 amp alternator ..it takes quite a good rev to get it to start charging.

If you really man that the warning light is off, but by voltage measurement charging has not started .. that's rather weird. Doesn't make sense really. If that is happening I'd sure try another voltage regulator.

what voltage to you have now ? I like to see 13.8 min ....and it can keep up to that with headlights on too. Or more, up to 14.5. There is such a thing as a solid state adjustable voltage regulator too.

scott turbovans

On 10/4/2012 4:20 PM, HotelWestfalia wrote: > Thanks to all who responded. > > I have to rev up the engine quite a bit to have the charging start, even though the charging light is off. Perhaps the voltage regulator is not kicking in as early as in other cars. > > Scott mentioned, sometimes it may need to be revved up to get the charging to start. > > Thank again, > Zoltan > > From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans > Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:49 PM > To: HotelWestfalia > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Baffled, giving up > > What's the status of the blue wire to the alternator ? > is the instrument cluster installed ? > Does the warning light come on when you turn on the key ? > The alternator won't 'wake up' until it's excited by the blue wire connection. > > > > On 10/3/2012 11:10 PM, HotelWestfalia wrote: > > Hi to all, > > I was working on the charging of the alternator, because I found the charging being too low. Took the alt. out and took it to the store for checking. It passed with almost 14 volts. Great. I put it back in the car and got 11.98 volts at the battery, at the alt. same. Shut the car down and the battery is back to 12.4 volts. > > I can’t think of anything that I can look at. The only thing happened in the near past is that a radio was installed by a shop. > > Anyone? > > Zoltan > > > > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virus Database: 2441/5308 - Release Date: 10/03/12 >