Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Oct 2012 19:37:06 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Not fixed right yet, was; Baffled, giving up
Comments: To: HotelWestfalia <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

No connection at T14 the main instrument cluster could cause that. Perhaps the light itself is not working, consider the relay and wiring ..the one under the driver's seat for aux battery. perhaps the voltage reg in the alternator. You don't have another alternator to try on this van .. ....just to confirm the van itself is good ?

Did you check continuity on the blue wire from T14 connector to the wire at the alternator ? That would be a logical thing to check. I'm often nervous to try another instrument cluster , and the year/version has to be compatible .. but that's another way to learn where the issue is and isn't.

That process is what I call 'substitute and bypass' .. very useful sometimes.

On 10/4/2012 7:09 PM, HotelWestfalia wrote: > The charging light does not come on when the key is on. And it > bothers me > if it's not as it should be. > What would be the reason why it is not coming on? > > I'm hoping to fix it by tomorrow. > > Best wishes to all, > Zoltan > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: mark drillock > Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 4:26 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Fixed; was Baffled, giving up > > The charging light absolutely must come on when the key is turned on. > After the engine is started it must go out, perhaps after a little > reving. If yours does not come on with the key and go out when the > engine is running then something is wrong and it is very important that > you fix it and not just walk away washing your hands. It could cost > someone an engine if you don't have a working alternator light on a wbx. > > Mark > > HotelWestfalia wrote: >> Thanks to all who responded. >> >> I have to rev up the engine quite a bit to have the charging start, even >> though the charging light is off. Perhaps the voltage regulator is not >> kicking in as early as in other cars. >> >> Scott mentioned, sometimes it may need to be revved up to get the >> charging >> to start. >> >> Thank again, >> Zoltan >> > > > ----- > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com > Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virus Database: 2441/5310 - Release Date: 10/04/12 >