Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Oct 2012 08:34:32 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help strange misfire - Update
Comments: To: Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>

---- Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Made it home fine and no more incidents. Spark plugs all seem tight. > Weird. > > Was not really like "Vanagon syndrome" - one sudden violent jerk and then > back to normal, smooth running for several miles. I would not think this > day and age bad gas would be a factor; I filled with premium at a Chevron > dealer for this last tank. Tonight I filled up in Galt before leaving for > home at a 76 station, also premium ($4.99 a gallon!). Ran like a top all > the way home.

Donna, I'm not much of a mechanic. However, I really doubt that the premium gas made any difference whatsoever. These things are supposed to run on regular, 87 octane gasoline. Now, if your gasoline has ethanol, as most do, that could damage plastic and rubber fittings in the fuel system, and if the vehicle is not driven regularly, perhaps the fuel could absorb more water with the alcohol in it. But it sounds like you drive it regularly and that would purge the water before it accumulated enough to be a problem. I do make it a point to get fuel without alcohol when I can. It is widely available here, but on the road it is a problem. Google "ethanol free gasoline" and a web site that lists stations in all states that sell it.

It really bothers me that gasoline companies are going to a 15% ethanol fuel. There are better ways to make gasoline "clean air friendly" than growing it instead of food, and the agricultural and refining operations for ethanol collectively cost about as much energy as they produce.

mcneely > > Have a good rest of the weekend all. > > Donna, 87 syncro > > > On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Donna <dskarloken@gmail.com> wrote: > > > In galt ca right now. > > > > Sent from my iPhone > > > > On Oct 6, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < > > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > > > How about if you say where you are ? > > You could be very close to someone who could help you. > > and without that info .................................... > > > > > > > > On 10/6/2012 3:41 PM, Donna wrote: > > > > Van runs fine but have had violent misfire every few miles on trip. Ideas? Got back from shop 3 weeks ago and ran good tip now. > > > > Thx a bunch > > > > Sent from my iPhone > > > > > >

-- David McNeely