Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Oct 2012 11:43:50 -0600
From:         Alfred Bagdan <abagdan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Darn idle, stalling, running rich...
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Marc,

I feel your pain. Had a similar problem about 10 years ago on my 85 Vanagon. After checking everything, I discovered a hairline crack in the AFM track (the semicircular track you see when you take off the cap). I replaced the AFM with a new remanufactured one I bought from Busdepot, and it ran much better for a few days, then it ran much worse at low revs, even worse than with the cracked AFM, but for highway driving it was OK but not excellent. Drove like that for about 2 years. Decided to check the bought AFM. Upon opening the AFM I noticed that the swinging arm with the contact was stuck about 3/4 up in the high rev position due to a nut at the other end of the contact. I fixed that problem (I forgot exactly what I did since it was 10 years ago, I faintly recall raising the swing arm a bit with a washer and bending the arm a bit to make contact). Problem solved. This may not be your problem, but you mention having bought a used AFM, it would be a good idea to check if the arm swings freely and using an Ohmmeter to check continuity by swinging the arm slowly. If there is a hairline crack you'll notice it. While you're at it, clean the track. This may not your problem, but worth checking.

The problem with the Vanagons are endless and challenging. On the good side it keeps your brain active trying to solve them, that is mainly the reason I keep my Van. It is a dementia post-boner. If all else fails wiggle the wires, it may help, it solved my recent problem with the bucking van, still haven't found which wire or what contact but no more bucking.

Alfred 85 Vanagon