Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Oct 2012 09:24:10 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Commercial tire?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

> *all* rear wheel drive 2WD drive cars benefit from 'more' in the rear tires. > Tire pressue is the first thing to adjust there ....roughly 4 to 6 psi > more in the rear, compared to the fronts.

Scott, actually, the pressures specified both on the tire information sticker and in the owner's book for my 2WD Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile are 43 front and 53 rear for 185R14 tires. That is a ten point difference, not a 4-6 point difference. So, that is what I run. You also stated that these vehicles do not run true or steer properly unless higher load rating tires are run on the rear, you recommend C tires (6ply rating) on the front and D tires (8 ply rating) on the rear. I wonder why VW specifies the same tires on front and rear? Did the engineers miss something important? I follow the tire placard/owner's book pressure specification right now.

I run 195R14 C tires front and rear. The load index on the sidewall is 106/104. I am unsure why this is given as it is, but it translates to a D tire, or 8 ply rating.

The placement of the C for "Commercial" on tires is a little confusing, since all the descriptions of the sidewall markers I can find indicate that the ply rating, whether C, D, or E, follows the rim size if marked. But the C for commercial is in that position as well, so that confuses matters. On my tires, which are 8 ply rated, there is no mark for the ply rating other than the load range specification.

My camper runs very straight and true on the highway, certainly passing the typical hands off the wheel test for alignment on a level, straight, paved road without wind readily, and steers beautifully. I could not ask for better. Would you recommend I ditch the 8 ply tires on the front for 6 ply tires? I will need new tires in about 5k miles, and am currently researching what is available. I prefer the 195 size for the extra 3/4 inch of clearance for back roads.

David McNeely