Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Oct 2012 12:00:22 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: One Time Coolant Leak
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

Squirrel, you've got a little gremlin, one addicted to coolant, sipping through a straw. Being intoxicated, he dribbles when he drinks. mcneely

---- Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I'll keep this short. Scout's honor. > > On Friday my son and I drove to a trailhead for a weekend hike. The last > 8 miles of road are washboardy, gravel, and steep uphill in places (rear > wheels juddering on the gravel). When we arrived I noticed a small > puddle under the rear of the van. I took a look at the refill tank > (behind the licence plate) and the coolant level was up to the lower > edge of the filler cap, and the outside of the tank was wet. It was a > cool morning and at no time did the engine get hot. I've driven this > road before, and rougher ones, with no incident. > > I didn't look any further into the situation, we wanted to hit the trail > and whatever had happened could wait until we returned. > > On return I was not happy to see that the puddle was still visible, but > maybe coolant doesn't evaporate clean like water. I worried > > The refill tank was bone dry. The expansion tank was completely full, > and it looks like just plain coolant. > > We filled the refill tank to the "max" line with clean water (about a > liter) and drove off. > > We stopped several times on the 130 mile trip home to check the level in > the refill tank and due to the warm engine, it was higher, about 1/3rd > up the filler cap. There were no leaks. When I got home, the level was > still 1/3rd up the fill cap. > > This morning, the van cold, the coolant is back to the "max" line. > > I was worrying about a head gasket leak or something pressurizing the > cooling system. > > But now I think that the more likely explanation might be that the cap > was a little loose and when the coolant expanded it drooled out of the > refill tank. I'm not convinced, though, since the last time I did > anything with that cap was back in April and I've driven a couple > thousand miles since then, on equally rough roads. > > Given this information, anyone care to offer another theory about what > might have happened? > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, > Bend, Ore.

-- David McNeely