Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:37:28 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: sneaking friday - jerry can find
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

Since the subject is Jerry Cans.. I dug out one I have. And I am interested in opinions about it's authenticity or pedigree. .

It's red .....appears to be the original exterior paint. It had light sand color paint on the inside ...some remaining, some gone. It has a almost 2 inch tall 'G' stamped in the side near the top. It has the company name "BLITZ" stamped in it, with a 'R' in a circle for registered trademark. It has the classic screw cap 'on belay' with a short piece of chain.

On the bottom it says, stamped in. DOT - 5L USMC 20 - 5 - 85

which could be military date code for May 20, 1985. USMC could be US Marine Corps of course.

So ..it is authentic in any way ? or a knock-off ? Is it a 'real' 27 year old US military can ? Looks like it to me. I like authentic 'real' old stuff, before everything started being made out of plastic, or extra cheap from various offshore counties.

Opinions welcome. thanks. scott

On 10/12/2012 9:37 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > ---- Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA> wrote: >> no, I won't be using it as a water can. But I don't know if the painted on lining will take gasoline. > Given that it is a water can, I doubt that it would hold gasoline without leaking. I have seen that before when people tried to use cans that were intended for water or oil for gasoline. Some work, some don't. I haven't seen one of those GI Jerry cans in a very long time. I don't know whether the lid will hold gasoline or not, either. I also don't know about it meeting transportation standards for gasoline. > > Might be ok for kerosene, if you have use of that, but five gallons is a lot of kerosene. > > Nice find, anyway. David >> alistair >> >> >> >> On 2012-10-12, at 7:15 AM, <mcneely4@cox.net> <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: >> >>> Alistair, that is an interesting find. Given where you got it, you may want to think about what might have been in it in the past before using it as a water can. Just a thought. David >>> >>> ---- Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA> wrote: >>>> I found an US military jerry can at the local metal scrapyard last week. In good condition but it is a water rather than a fuel can. Still, it will (if I ever finish my bumper and wheel carrier project) be a tempting add-on to the van. >>>> >>>> some pics here: >>>> >>>> http://shufti.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/jerry-can/ >>>> >>>> alistair >>> -- >>> David McNeely > -- > David McNeely >