Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:04:23 -0400
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Overheated wire junction on 1.9

I want to describe an issue I found while working on my van. Most will probably not have this problem unless they are running an '83 or '84 digijet (1.9) camper van and draw a lot more out of the alternator than a stock van does. But if this fits your situation, it bears inspecting for this potential problem.

I'm in the process of totally revising the charging system because I am increasing the size of my house battery. The previous house battery (which I killed by letting it discharge) was a 130 amp-hour deep cycle. To charge it I used a DC > DC battery charger* set to the high-current 15 amp mode (later versions are limited to 7 amps, but 15 amps better-suits larger batteries like mine).

The charger pulls about 18 amps from the van's charging system. The wiring to the charger was less than ideal:

alternator > van wiring > engine battery > relay > charger > house battery (located under bench seat).

The weakness is the van wiring. With a heavy load placed on the engine battery, there are a couple problems:

The first is that the wiring isn't hefty enough to carry that much current without losing some voltage, so the engine battery never gets a full charge.

I found the second problem when poking around in the connector box located in the engine compartment on the firewall forward of the engine on the driver's side.

Bentley 97.56 shows a pair of 12-gauge wires coming off the alternator's B+ terminal and going to the plus connection** in that box. Then a single 8 gauge wire carries the current to the starter, where a 2 gauge wire brings the charging current to the engine battery.

When I opened the box I saw that the last inch or so of the wire pair had darkened insulation, and the connector used to connect them to the plus connection was nearly black.

Clearly the heavy load I'd been placing on the wiring had overheated that connection, increasing its resistance and further reducing the charge voltage on the engine battery.

Though the heavy current draw through that route will no longer exist, because I am adding a new 0-gauge wire from the alternator directly to a new relocated charging circuit right at the new house battery, I still bypassed that weak link by installing a new wire directly from the alternator to the starter using a pre-made cable from Van-Cafe (search for VC.ALTCABLE***), leaving the old wiring in place for whatever the heck else gets powered off Connection 21.

I hope this will encourage owners of the 1.9l van to at least take a look inside the connector box to make sure their charge wire isn't showing signs of heating. The box snaps open, it's easy.

============= * Powerstream PST-BC1212-15 <http://www.powerstream.com/DCC.htm>

** Connection 21, seen on Track 22 on 97.56 and mislabeled as a "ground connection" on Bentley 97.54.

*** Or make your own. I didn't measure the length of the Van-Cafe part before installing it, but you'll want a large-gauge cable with a pair of 5/16'' ring lugs on the ends.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.