Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:55:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Hose vs. Coolant Pipe
Comments: To: ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET

I wouldn't recommend main front-to-back hoses, and I'd think of the several vendors selling stainless steel pipes ... someone will have a set.

two recomendations ... one ..get the two-section ones, rather than full length, two.. if possible try not to get ones that have a very sharp 'bell' endright on the very end of the pipe. On one set I installed, that bell shape was a bit large,...like 'too aggressive' .. and it was nigh impossible to get a hose back off. If you look at any factory pipe .. you'll notice there is a bump about 1/4 inchfrom the end, a smooth bump .. this allows for a 'lead-in' piece of pipe for the hose to slide over before the pump, and the hose slides back off easily. with anaggressive bell lip on the very end ..it works like chinese finger trapping things ..the more you pull, the tighter it gets, making the hose really hard to get off if the hose a proper tight fit.

Steel pipes .. it takes the factory ones 20 years to rot out, and that is purely from not changing coolant, or using some rust inhibiting additive. Stainless would be better than mild steel of course.

On 10/18/2012 6:54 AM, David Bjorkman wrote: > Do Not Use Steel Coolant Pipes. > There is a real good reason why VW went to the plastic pipes! You can > easily find, from many of our friendly vendors. conversion packages > that make this possible and easy to do. The steel pipes will just > rust out again and leave you with the same problem if you plan on > keeping your Vanagon. I have also heard that coolant hoses have a > problem with expanding under load or some other show stopping problem, > but maybe someone more familiar with this can explain it better. > Dave B. > On 10/18/12, Kevin Gilbert<kggilbert@MYACTV.NET> wrote: > Vanagoneers, > > Has anyone out there replaced their steel coolant pipes with suitable > hose? > Is it reliable and durable? Cheaper? Easier to install? > > I have a standing order for steel, but my vendor friends won't have > pipes in stock for several months, and I'm exploring alternatives. > > Thanks. > > Kevin