Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:38:27 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lights out!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

I would say start by checking the igntion switch .. as that is the power supply for the headlights , ( unless that's been bypassed with the non-stock headlight and relay system )

I find relay failure, fwiw, to be about a one-in-a-million failure. Exceptionally rare. Like maybe I've seen 3 in the last 20 years.

Do the high beam flashers work ? .. ( we just went through this , lol ) it is 'classic' on vanagons that key off, head light switch off .. the high beams will flash when you pull the left stalk ..( as they should ) .. and that is the only headlight mode that words.

at least on stock-wired vanagons ..it's almost always the ignition switchin that case, that is keeping the hd. lits from working normally. All you have to do is take your spare known-good Ign Switch .. the electrical part, which is a part that should be handy for any vanagon owner ..like in your parts stash .. just unplug the connector on the back of the existing ign sw .. plug in your new one, turn it with a screw driver to the 'on' position. see if the head lights work normally.

and naturally .. any place that has been modified or worked on that's non-stock and non-original .. that is the area to really look at.

oh btw..the last one I fixed for this ....had head light relays .. I think it was no high beams , something like that. A big wire had pulled off the back of the fuse box. And easy fix once the fuse box was lowered. Perhaps the relay installer made that wire a bit short.

scott www.turbovans.com

On 10/18/2012 8:23 AM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > Unfortunately the headlight relays add additional failure points. Also most Kits do not fuse the coils so a bad relay can do other damage. Start by checking if the relays are being operated. If so then check the power circuits. > > Dennis > > Dennis > Who can't type or spell on this Windows Phone! > ________________________________ > From: JRodgers > Sent: 10/18/2012 10:41 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Lights out! > > Frustrated! > > Cruzin' down the road in Ol' Blue last night when the cell phone rang > and it was a friend whom I have now heard from in two years. 'Course had > to talk so pulled off the highway and stopped for safety reasons, shut > the vehicle down and had a nice conversation. When I got ready to go - > started Blue up, turned on the headlights - no head lights. I fretted, > tried this and that, checked the fuses - nothing. Had to leave Blue > parked and catch a ride home. > > This morning I picked Blue up - still nothing. but Blue was drivable so > I came on home. Running lights work - turn signals, flashers, break > lights, dash lights - but for one. The speedometer light is out. > > This van has the SA headlights, has the headlight switch bypass relays > installed. > > Driving home last night I did think I could detect an almost > imperceptible scent of something electrical. Change in ozone, something. > Just barely discernible. A molecule or two. So maybe I have a short > somewhere. The big question is where? And where to start looking on > this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. > > Thanks > > John >