Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:37:22 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT: Eurovan forum information?
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <mcperdue@GMAIL.COM>

I know it is not Friday yet but here are some realities for the vehicles listed below. Keep in mind my theory of the purchase price is just the down payment.

Peter et al,

Yes, the little things . . . Right now, that's my iPhone and my new son, Nicholas, who, at 5 weeks is already a rock star in my book!

I'm tossing around the options and here's what I've got right now: 1) There's a nice weekender EV with 115K that I can get for $18K Don't know what year this is but let's assume new enough to have the VR-6. In the next few years 40-50k miles it will need a steering rack and possibly the pump, transmission repair, front drive axles/wheel bearings, struts/shocks and the fronts will likely need the mounts/cushions at the top of the struts, heater core, AC will need work, possibly including the evaporator, some electrical issues and of course all the normal stuff like tires, brakes, belts, hoses, etc.

2) There's a full camper EV with less than 40K miles that I can get for over $30K. =8^O

As we approach the $30K bracket is a compact does not have everything you want what you really want? With today's market I can get a lot of a RV for that money and the extra needed for fuel will be offset by the lower cost of parts. Insurance may also be less and if you finance the interest is deductible as a 2nd home.

3) There's a Westy weekender in Cali with 9xK miles that I can get for about $25K =8^O

So why is it low mileage? Was it a collector vehicle or did it spend a number of years not running? Why is it for sale now? As you put it to work plan to deal with everything that goes wrong on a 100k mile vehicle plus age on every plastic/rubber part that has not been replaced yet.

4) I can buy a 2000 BMW 528it (wagon) for about $7K and fix up my van. The BMW will also put you in the poor house. You can probably get a car for a lot less than that and you can keep it running for a while and maybe even save some $$ on fuel. Put the $7k as a down payment on a new Elantra, Focus, Cruze, even a stripped Jetta. The Elantra, Focus, Cruze are hitting that 40 mpg mark with the cost/complication of hybrid or diesel. I have recently rented the Focus and now an Elantra. The Focus did 34.7 combined and 39.7 highway @70-75 mph.

Options, options... So, I'm going to borrow my mother-in-law's car for awhile, get some estimates on fixing the rust and paint on the Vanagon, on putting in a Bostig conversion (sorry Stuart, but I have a friend here with a Bostig that RAVES about it), and fixing up the misc. little things, then make a decision.

The allure of the awesome HP of the EV Weekender almost sucked me in, but the transmission, and other costly, issues make me nervous.

Dennis, when everyone else refers to the Haynes manual, they mean something different. To me, the Haynes manual is everything you've written here. I think you and David Beierl know more about car electronics than the people that design them. You guys are the best! I hope to meet you both someday.

I have no relation to the Haynes Manual folks at all. In fact I do not even have any formal automotive training and have never been employed at an auto repair facility. This is strictly a side business, hobby gone out of control. My day job is Manager of the engineering department for a large automated warehouse operation. Yes I specialize in automation and controls. I am also responsible for the various building systems including HVAC, emergency power production including computer rooms and yes even plumbing. I do enjoy when I can help folks out.

An interesting side note about newer VWs... I bought a 2000 Passat that had just over 24K miles on it, i.e., it was just beyond the 2 yr./24K warranty. In the 18 months I owned it, it ran right for 3 months and I spent more on its repairs than I did the 4 years that I owned my '87 Vanagon by that time. So, while I get really frustrated when I'm having the umpteenth coolant leak on my van, it's my own darn fault for not replacing ALL the coolant hoses at the FIRST sign of trouble. No more deferred maintenance...

I had one of those PARTSATS also. After replacing the transmission with a defective factory rebuild, ( the dealer installed the 2nd one just in case I did something wrong installing the 1st), the engine blew the head gasket. Replaced the gasket, failed again in a few weeks. Found the top of the block was warped. Junked the car new tranny and all. Only did ~24 mpg highway when it ran.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Marc

You're welcome, Dennis