Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2012, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2012 19:24:06 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Purchase price is just the down payment
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

"Keep in mind my theory of the purchase price is just the down payment."  --  Dennis Haynes

Dennis, please keep knocking this truth into our heads from time to time, thank you!!  It seems about every 2 weeks or so, when I am on some Vanagon outing, I will get admiration and envy from a bystander about Vanagons.  I tell them, yes they are so cool...but...I try in 5 or 10 minutes to explain that they are 20-25 years old or more, they are not a "normal" car like a Honda or Toyota, that it may take lots of love and long-suffering and frustration and education and dollars for it to all to come together......and on and on.

I think GoWesty understands and has dialed in on this concept.  That's why they go from bottom to top on those vehicles, and there is undeniably a market out there willing to pay what it really takes to turn a "vintage" vehicle into a reliable "modern" vehicle.  For a price.  Not everybody is a backyard mechanic which these Vanagons need no matter how gentle you are with them....eventually mechanical things wear out...and then what?  For mechanically-inclined or even sort of (like me)....not too big of a problem (with help from AAA).  For civilians used to "normal" modern vehicles....big problem.

Anyway, that advice about "purchase price" is just so plain useful....love it when I hear it especially from a guy who knows what he's talking about...brings reality home.

Rich San Diego